ABOUT NASCIO | Privacy
Revised February 1, 2007
NASCIO's Guiding Principles for Privacy Protection
At NASCIO, we are committed to protecting the personally-identifiable information of our association members, business partners and others who communicate their personally-identifiable information to us in the course of business. We seek to foster the trust of those with whom we do business and, one of the important ways we do that, is by protecting the privacy of personally-identifiable information entrusted to us. In order to be effective, privacy protections must address all personally-identifiable information, whether in electronic or written form. At NASCIO, we strive to take a holistic approach to privacy and closely examine all of our business processes to ensure that personally-identifiable information, regardless of its form or how it is submitted to us, is used for the purposes for which it was collected and protected from disclosure to third parties except as otherwise stated in this policy.
- Intended Use Of: NASCIO's website is intended to benefit its members and others interested in the role of the state CIO, state information technology (IT) issues and conducting business with the Association. It provides helpful information about state IT, builds a community of interest around state IT issues and provides a forum for transacting business with NASCIO, including signing-up for NASCIO listservs, registering for conferences and acquiring publications.
- Collection of Organization and Email for the Download of Documents: For some documents, NASCIO may require you to identify the type of organization you are with and provide you with the option of disclosing your email address. As a federal grant recipient, NASCIO may be required for some publications to report on the number and types of organizations that download such publications via the NASCIO website. Moreover, such information helps us to identify trends and demographics associated with those who read our publications, which helps us to determine which types of publications are most helpful to our members and others. If you exercise the above-described option to provide your email address, we will protect it as personal information, meaning that NASCIO can only disclose that information with your consent. This means that you must "opt-in" to having that information shared. However, the following exceptions apply in which NASCIO may disclose your email address without your consent where disclosure is:
- Required by law or court order or to protect a right of NASCIO, including the safety of its employees
- To NASCIO's agents, vendors or service providers who perform functions on our behalf
- To NASCIO's business partners, such as other associations, with the approval of NASCIO's Executive Committee.
- Security of Personal Information Transmitted Online: To protect personal information you may submit to us via the NASCIO website, we use Security Sockets Layer (SSL) with 128-bit encryption to ensure that such information is protected as it is transmitted to our website. We also use appropriate firewall, anti-spam, anti-virus, anti-spyware, and other technical measures to ensure security. Regarding physical security measures, NASCIO headquarter offices are protected by key card access control and our server facilities are protected by both key card and keypad access controls.
- Guidance to Members and Others When Communicating with NASCIO: NASCIO discourages you from submitting to us personal information, such as email addresses, or sensitive personal information, such as financial information or Social Security Numbers. If we have a need for such information to complete a transaction with you, we will request such information. More specifically, because of the risks of identity theft and fraud that could result from compromised credit card numbers and Social Security Numbers, NASCIO advises you not to submit that information via regular email, due to the lack security regarding that method of transmission.
- Session Cookies: NASCIO uses session cookies, which stay on the user's computer until the user closes his or her Internet browser. NASCIO collects the following information via session cookies. This information is aggregated and used for web analytics purposes only to ensure that NASCIO's website is relevant for members and other visitors. Information collected includes the following:
- Source site (the site from which a user traveled to the NASCIO website, such as a search engine or link from another website)
- Aggregate information about which pages are visited the most
- Browser and operating system used, and
- Home country of the visitor.
- Persistent Cookies: NASCIO uses persistent cookies that are only stored on our server to log website visitors' IP addresses. In order to improve the experience of members who have authenticated themselves via a username and password to our website, we link the IP address to the username and password of those members.
- Linked Websites: These provisions only apply to NASCIO's website and do not apply to the websites of others with links on our webpage and NASCIO does not have any liability with respect to those websites and their use of any type of personal information. If you have questions about the privacy policies of non-NASCIO websites that are linked from our website, please contact the webmaster or owner of any such linked websites.
Legal Notice & Disclaimer
- No Express or Implied Endorsements: NASCIO does not expressly or impliedly endorse or recommend any products or services that may be referenced on our website.
- Accuracy of Information on Website: NASCIO makes every effort to ensure the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of information presented on our website (including publications and other educational and association materials available both on and offline). However, the user should check the accuracy of the information before relying it. NASCIO (including its employees and agents) is not responsible for and disclaims all liability (including incidental, consequential and punitive damages) for any kind of damage that may occur from the use, reliance upon or referencing of information contained on NASCIO's website.
- Warranties: NASCIO disclaims liability for any express or implied warranties, recommendations and guarantees, including the express or implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or use of products or services referenced on this website, and non-infringement. NASCIO also does not warrant that its website or associated online systems will operate free of errors or that this website and its server are free of computer viruses and similar harmful materials. We take reasonable security measures to minimize any such risks.
- Your Agreement By Using NASCIO's Website: By using NASCIO's website or any of NASCIO's printed or online materials, you agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless NASCIO and any of its employees or agents from any losses, claims, damages, costs and expenses that may arise from use of any of NASCIO's resources or your breach of this policy.
- Legal/Financial Decisions: No information on this website is intended to be legal or financial advice. Please consult your general counsel or financial advisor before relying on information on this website (or in NASCIO publications) to make legal and/or financial decisions.
Notice of Changes & Data of Last Revision
Point of Contact
For questions about this policy or to raise a concern, please contact NASCIO's Executive Director, Doug Robinson, at email@example.com
or by calling us at (859) 514-9150.