STATE PROFILES | California
Carlos RamosSecretary and Chief Information Officer
California Technology Agency
Year Appointed: 2011
BiographyThroughout his career, Carlos Ramos has been a leader on many of California's key technology initiatives. Carlos has served as Director of the Office of Systems Integration - with a $4.5 billion portfolio of California's largest technology projects. Carlos also concurrently held the position of Assistant Secretary for Health and Human Services and was the Agency's senior technology executive. He was the principal technology advisor to the Secretary and was responsible for the entire HHS IT portfolio. Carlos helped architect the consolidation of the state's largest data centers and the creation of California's Department of Technology Services.
He has served as Director of the then Teale Data Center - one of the largest public-sector data centers in the world with an annual budget of $200 million and over 200 government agency customers. Before that, Carlos was CIO for California's Department of Social Services managing a large computing infrastructure and a statewide data communications network.
During his state career, Carlos has been directly involved in many of the largest enterprise IT initiatives that the State has undertaken including:
• Establishment of the State's Office of System Integration (OSI)
• The State's automated child support system
• Consolidation of the Teale and Health and Human Services Data Centers
• Development of a state IT project oversight model
• Development of the state's IT project governance model
• Development of innovative and effective IT procurement models
• Development of enterprise IT security operations and oversight models
• Development of a multi-data center collaborative which developed strategies for a number of critical IT issues (e.g. operational recovery, information security, mutual aid in succession planning and staff development, and software procurement)
• Establishment of the CA.GOV state internet portal
Carlos has held many leadership commissions throughout his career in state government including:
• Chair - State of California IT Strategic Plan Committee
• Chair – State of California SOA Governance Workgroup
• Executive Member - Information Technology Council
• Member – Governor's E-Government Policy Advisory Group
• Chair – Data Center Directors Policy Council
• Chair - Government Technology Conference
• Chair - the California IT Executive Institute
Carlos is returning to state service after three years heading up an independent consulting practice, during which he served as a member of the Human Services IT Advisory Group, as an ERP advisor to the State Controller's Office, an ERP advisor to the Department of Corrections and as a senior fellow with the Center for Digital Government.
Carlos is excited about the opportunity to be back in public service to the people of California as part of Governor Brown's team.