LEXINGTON, Ky., Wednesday, December 13, 2023—today, the National Association of State Chief Information Officers (NASCIO) released the State CIO Top 10 for 2024. The Top 10 represents state technology leaders’ top policy and technology priorities for the coming year, as voted on by 49 state and territory chief information officers (CIOs) and has been published every year since 2007. For the first time ever there is a tie for number one: cybersecurity and digital government services. Cybersecurity was the only top priority for state CIOs for over ten years.
“With the increase demand in digital government services, there is little surprise that it ties for number one on this year’s list,” said Doug Robinson, NASCIO executive director. “Cybersecurity and digital government are two critical issues for state CIOs and will be for some time.”
Other items of note from the 2024 Top 10 are:
- Artificial intelligence arrives for the first time to the top ten and at priority number three
- CIO as Broker arrives for the first time to the top ten, arriving at number ten
- Cloud services moves up to number nine from number six
- Broadband moves up to number seven from number nine in 2023
- Workforce moves to number five, down from number three in 2023
NASCIO utilizes the annual voting of priorities to develop strategic areas of focus for the coming year, formulate new issue forums and working groups and plan NASCIO conference sessions and publications.
The Top 10 can be found on NASCIO’s website, www.NASCIO.org.
Deputy Executive Director
National Association of State Chief Information Officers