Lexington, Ky, Wednesday, December 8, 2021—today, the National Association of State Chief Information Officers (NASCIO) released the State CIO Top 10 for 2022. The Top 10 represents state technology leaders’ top policy and technology priorities for the coming year, as voted on by state chief information officers (CIOs), and has been published every year since 2007. Cybersecurity remains the top priority for the ninth year running and enterprise architecture makes the list for the very first time.
“It is no surprise that digital government, broadband and legacy modernization are ranked as high priorities by state CIOs,” said Doug Robinson, NASCIO Executive Director. “The past two years have highlighted their importance to governors, state CIO customers and the citizens they serve.”
Other items of note from the 2022 Top 10 are:
- Digital government / digital services ranks as number two for the second year in a row
- Broadband moves up one spot to number three
- Legacy modernization moves up to the number five spot after being in the seventh position last year
- Consolidation/optimization takes the number ten spot which is the lowest ranking it’s had since the Top Ten started
- For the first time since 2008, budget and cost control doesn’t make the Top 10 list
NASCIO utilizes the annual voting of priorities to develop strategic areas of focus for the coming year, formulate new issue forums and working groups and plan NASCIO conference sessions and publications.
Director of Policy and Research
National Association of State Chief Information Officers